Statement by the Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment

You should always send a copy of the finished wetland plan to your local Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centre) before starting work, so that the supervising authorities have the information they need about any projects to be implemented.

The purpose of this procedure is to make sure that the project causes no harm to other people or the surrounding environment. You should contact your local ELY Centre even before making a detailed plan, so that any obstacles and restrictions to the project can be anticipated.

In its statement, the ELY Centre may present demands and regulations for the implementation of the building work to make sure that any harmful effects caused by the project remain as slight as possible. These demands and regulations either have to be taken into account in the implementation, or a plea can be made explaining in more detail the reasoning for the intended measures.

The ELY Centre will also estimate whether the implementation of the wetland project will require a water permit issued by the Regional State Administrative Agencies. For more information about applying for a water permit and any requirements for the plans, contact the Regional State Administrative Agencies.

Applying for a water permit is a process in itself. The processing time for the permit is often long and the permit is relatively expensive. Consider carefully whether the project is worth the trouble and cost of applying for a water permit. You can apply for relief on the price of the permit, if the processing charge for the application in question, as mentioned in the act, is unreasonably high in comparison to the working time that the processing takes.

Municipalities grant permits relating to the landscape for work to be undertaken in an area that is covered by a detailed plan.

Updated 23.7.2013